Friday, June 21, 2019

Where and Who...

If you are new to the Wilson's Wanderings here are two blog posts I wrote ten years ago that describe where I am physically. They still paint a good picture even ten years later...read them here and here.

On the map, here's the lay of the land...

Blue dot, 10 km south of the provincial town of Mae Hong Son is Pa Tyng where my parents moved when I was in 8th grade. Red dot (20km north of MHS) is Naplajat (Fish Fields) where my parents moved while I was in college. These are the two villages I  am staying in while I'm here. A few miles north of Naplajat or west of Pa Tyng and you'll quickly find yourself on the border with Burma. If you're read the 'Thoughts on a 90km stretch of road' blog referenced above, the 90 km stretches from Naplajat south to a little village just outside of Khun Yuam at the bottom of the photo above.
Pa Tyng
Naplajat - harder to capture a photo of the entire village (this photo taken several years ago)


Rain rolling in...




I've posted the view from the front porch in Pa Tyng where I am staying in the garden house of Ba Youie with her son Golf (and wife Nam Waan when she comes home on the weekends from teaching in another village an hour away). The three photos above are of the rain rolling in over the hills which I love to just sit and watch. I had always thought I would do this rice thing with Ba Youie's husband Loong Douie (Golf's dad) but he was tragically killed in a motorcycle accident last year. That partly spurred this endeavor to happen sooner rather than later. 

Ba Youie, Naam Waan and Golf...and a pineapple...

...and here's my morning view from the porch of Pi Toi and Pi Lee's house in Naplajat when I stay there which hosts visitors and village friends on a continual basis.

Pi Lee has a portable rice mill which is pretty cool!
Both houses where I am staying have experienced recent loss. Loong Douie died just over a year ago and in Naplajat, Grandfather Naan, Pi Toi's Father just passed away two months ago. This past Sunday about 100 people from the village and surround area came to remember him.


Pi Toi at her dad's grave/memorial site

This is where I am and the people I'm with. 

Duncan



No comments: