Friday, June 21, 2019

Now about that rice...Update 1



So you may be thinking...ok, Duncan, you've been in Thailand three weeks, when does the rice growing begin? Good question. It actually has begun. In some places in Thailand, farmers can do two rice growing seasons. Here in Maehongson, it's limited to one that coincides with the rainy season. Each farmer begins preparation of their fields based on their specific location, weather patterns and when their is enough water in the rivers that feed the 'nam hong' (water canal) that brings the water to flood the paddy fields. (Hill rice is also grown here - as it's name implies on hills (often slash and burned) and this requires no flooding. That's not the rice I'm doing.)

Rice growing begins with the initial seed bed preparation. The rice is soaked over night and then scattered where is sprouts and grows for four to six weeks (so I am told.) This had already happened by the time I got here.
Golf and his cousin's seed beds - the hill behind is where I take all the village pictures from. 
While it's growing, the rest of the fields are usually flooded, plowed and harrowed into liquified mud ready for the rice to be transplanted in. Before mechanized times, water buffalo and oxen were used only to be replaced by large oversize roto tillers. Both options long, hard, exhausting work which could take up to two weeks.

Starting up the beast...
Astute followers of photos that have been posted here or on facebook may have noticed a picture with a tractor in the background...let's just say times they are a changing. I kept asking when plowing would begin and I didn't really get a straight answer. All of a sudden last Saturday, a guy on a tractor appeared and for the princely sum of 800 baht ($25) an hour the fields were completely plowed in about 3-4 hours. Done. And I wondered, ok, well clearly that alters my plans a little as I thought I would be able to do a little plowing! I certainly don't begrudge this decision though. Who wouldn't choose to spend that money to save so much time and physical energy?




This is the first time Ba Youie (and perhaps anyone in this village) has rented a tractor to do this - and honestly it's surprising it hadn't happened before. I'm sure everyone will quickly switch to doing it this way and if they can't afford the cash payment, they can pay by promising a portion of the rice that is harvested.

Now the fields will be flooded to allow all the grass and weeds to rot. The good news (for me) is that the fields can't be harrowed using the tractor so I will still get some roto tiller time in the coming days. And there are enough other people still plowing the 'old' way - I'm sure I can find someone who will let me make a fool of myself!

Golf's great grand parents used to own the entire plot of fields seen here. At some  point two sections were sold off. The plowed fields below are split between Golf's family and a cousin.


Duncan

1 comment:

Aroha said...

This is a great post, Duncan! I enjoy following your travels, especially as you explore rice growing season in Thailand. Keep them coming.