Monday, June 3, 2019

From Bangkok with Gratitude


View from my room in Bangkok (note the many AC units on lower building in front)

I admit to being somewhat surprised at the enthusiasm, encouragement (and let's admit it - a little envy) that has come my way when people find out about this rice growing season. I am grateful for this, grateful that there are those that 'get it.' Grateful for those that will check in with Andrea while I'm gone. It's been fun having conversations with many about the plan - ranging from clients to colleagues, to Alex (the guy who cuts my hair) who grew up in an area of  South Vietnam where flood waters quickly cover the land during the rainy season. He described a kind of rice that grows fast enough to stay just ahead of the rising flood waters. I'm grateful for the unexpected blessings and words people have spoken about this season - a season of cultivation for sure as I plow and plant in the mud but also hopefully a season of cultivation in my soul.

Parting gifts and words from friends that I'm carrying with me


And I'm grateful for warm days before I left DC getting ready, connecting with friends, making sticky rice and mango and sticky rice and chicken (because if you're going to Thailand, you should practice eating what you'll be eating!),  making sure the house was good to go and enjoying the garden, harvesting some broccoli...you know the important things you do before leaving for two months. 

Practice and Preparation before leaving...


All my flights were good. Flying is when I catch up on movies and there usually is a theme. Sometimes I will watch several films with the same actor in each. This time I watched The Hate U Give and Vice, two powerful movies that seem to kind of sum up the world I am leaving for a few months. And then I watched We Bought a Zoo and a German movie called As Green as it Gets which were more symbolic of what lies ahead. 

Bangkok view at Benjakati Park

Crazy Terminal 21 Mall where every floor (including the bathrooms) is themed after a different city... (Golden Gate Bridge visible here)

Today is a national holiday in honor of the new (very new) Queen's birthday. I admit it is different to see her image everywhere. Some things change. Some things don't. The lady who I always buy my sticky rice and chicken from here on Soi 12 is still here. She provided my first meal of course! Tomorrow evening I'll catch the overnight train up to Chiang Mai. Some more of her sticky rice and chicken will be stuffed in my already overflowing bags!

The real sticky rice and chicken first meal...yes Thailand still is drowning in plastic bags.
Duncan

No comments: