Wednesday, January 7, 2009

December 26, Skydiving!

I've always been interested in skydiving. Back in high school my friend Lizzy and I talked about taking the plunge together but we never pursued it (it is also really expensive in the States). Three years ago when we first came to South Africa I saw a brochure for skydiving near Cape Town and thought the view would be great. So on this trip I always had it in the back of my head that I would do it. Duncan fully supported the endeavor despite not wanting to jump himself. :)

So when Thomas and Lilian told us that they were already signed up to go skydiving in Plettenberg, it seemed like the perfect opportunity. The day after Christmas we showed up at the Plettenberg Bay airport and followed signs through the bush until we found 'Skydive Plett.' They were quite booked that day so we watched two sets of divers go before Thomas and Lilian went. Shortly before they touched down I was given a harness and then quick instructions of what I needed to do. While I was quite nervous when I woke up that morning the matter of factness of the business and that several groups had gone before us calmed me.

Just after Thomas touched the ground the small plane returned to pick me and my fellow jumper and our two 'guides' up. My guide and I were to be the first jumpers so we climbed in after the other two, closest to the door. After an awesome 20 minute plane ride that circled Robberg peninsula where the clear water revealed the shipwreck that gives the peninsula its name, tightening some straps and getting clipped into my guide's harness, I put on my goggles, the plane door opened and we jumped out.

WOW!!! The noise and sheer force of free falling for 35 seconds is unbelievable. The funny thing is that you don't feel like you're falling – or at least your stomach doesn't know but I do think your brain does, because I don't remember much from that 35 seconds. I think my brain shut off out of fear. :) Once our parachute opened we enjoyed the view and then did some G-force turns for fun.

On the way down my guide explained the landing to me, I was to pull up my legs as high as I could so that he could touch down first and then when he said 'stand up' I was to touch down and stand up. Well, I was a bit taller than him and for the landing he had loosened my harness which had the effect of lowering me closer to the ground so I was about 2 feet closer to the ground that he. It worked okay until he said 'Stand up.' I tried, I really did, but being taller than him and because he was already standing I couldn't and we both fell over. So while Thomas and Lilian had perfect touch downs I have some great pictures of me on my bum in the grass :)

This experience only cost about $150 USD, much cheaper than had I done it in the States. What a deal! Maybe I'll go again!

Andrea

No comments: