Thursday, January 22, 2009

20 Years

Dear Kagiso,

I have been thinking about how to offer some concluding thoughts and reflections on our time here in South Africa and the many conversations we have had about life, race, culture and hope. I have decided that maybe the best way to do it is in a letter to someone I have had some of those conversations with and who has given me feedback to think about. Thus you are the lucky winner!

Our time here has been amazing. We have seen so much – beaches, mountains, animals, birds, long long drives (I think we have driven over 6500 kilometers!) never ending vistas and views, all of which have been good for us. Refreshing, clearing our heads, bringing some rest and healing to our emotions. And we have met so many wonderful people who have befriended us and been so kind to us, South Africans and other travelers alike – even when we haven't agreed with everything they have said. We knew we wanted to come back here to listen and learn and I think we have accomplished that although I think we still more questions than answers.

You know that many of my questions have been about racial relations and every day life. I'm not sure why I am so interested, some could say even hung up on how it really is between black and white South Africans here today. And honestly, talking with you and Dumisani and Bernard, you made it seem like it isn't an issue. Our conversations with you were actually the beginning of many hopeful conversations – up until that point, many of our conversations were much more pessimistic. But we have also had those conversations as you know that leave us discouraged, believing that there is still a huge divide and a long way to go before true equality between skin colors. When I hear statements that there is just a different mentality among black people or even the horrific “You can take people out of the bush...” You know the rest, I'm not even going to finish it. I'm not sure what to do with that because that is such a degrading generalization. The reality is that there are stupid, senseless people of every skin color everywhere in the world.

But I also know that there are many white and black South Africans who don't think their country is in as good shape in terms of infrastructure, education and health care as before apartheid. I know there are many young white people who are leaving for Australia and Canada. You may wonder why I titled this letter (post) '20 Years'? I had the chance to have a great conversation with a well known newspaper editor in Capetown and his wife. I asked them the same question I have asked you and so many others: Do you have hope? Where do you see hope here in SA? He quickly replied “20 Years.” I thought, that's fair, others have also said it will take a decade or two before thing catch up here. And then he continued, “20 years until we are just like Zimbabwe.”

That is discouraging. Anyone who knows anything knows that is not good. And this man is smart, educated, well traveled. He can back up what he is saying. It's easy to point to some of the African track record of mismanagement and corruption all over the continent. But it's also easy to not mention European and American mismanagement and corruption currently and over the years. I wrote in my journal that night:

The only difference between Africa and the Western 'Developed' world (and its leaders) is time (and perhaps some colonization issues!!!) The west/developed world has just as many corrupt/power hungry people but as countries or societies, they have had time to put in a system of checks and balances. Go back 100 or 500 years and you will find just as many Mugabe's in what we now call developed first world countries. The west is just as guilty of ethnic cleansing and often it is our colonialism that helped to contribute to some of the issues today.

20 Years. I hope he is wrong. I must believe he is wrong. For his sake, for yours, for everyone here in SA. Against his statements I have yours and Dumisani's and others, black and white, who believe that there it hope and that it will get better. Yes there is catch up time. People shouldn't forget that SA is a baby democracy. There is work to do. But there is work to do everywhere in all countries. Ending our time here in Capetown is also encouraging as have been other cities. When I walk the waterfront I see every shade of skin represented. Every shade of skin prospering and succeeding, working and walking side by side. I hope this continues. But I also know that for everyone at the V&A Waterfront there are hundreds of others who are not moving up and who still lack much. And I also know, as you and Dumisani said, if there are racist issues that are alive and well, it is often black on black. Like I said, there is much work still to do.

By the way, thanks again for watching Crash with us. It was good to hear your thoughts – and you made us your first popcorn! It's interesting that it wasn't a well known movie here as there are so many similarities in it to what we experience in the US.

Is there a different way of governing, leading, doing things here that will be successful? An African way? I think there probably is – which is a good thing. Certainly not everything the west, especially the Unites States exports is good. If there is a way not to buy into our celebrity, consumer obsessed society that will be a good thing.

It will also take people staying both black and white. And we have met those who are staying and who want to stay, black and white, but mainly black. I hope there is a way to encourage the many white young people who are leaving to stay. Perhaps I am naive. After all what do I know after two and a half months. But again I have to believe the editor is wrong.

You know, it's interesting, we arrived here in SA the day Obama was elected and we arrive back in the US on the day he will be inaugurated and become president. These are momentous and significant times in the US. Obama has huge expectations placed on him, many of which should not be his to carry. Yet he is a huge symbol of hope for the US and for everyone around the world. I really think his election helped open a few friendly doors for us in the past couple months:-) And as you know Kenya had the national public holiday the day after he was elected! Hopefully the Obama's will inspire people around the world to continue working toward positive change. Hopefully he will not succumb to the power which is so easy to do. That is my hope and prayer for him.

So there are my thoughts – and I haven't even touched on Darfur/Sudan/Congo where straight out hate/evil is ruling the day and seems so impenetrable. I hope the editor is wrong. I hope that in 20 years I am still able to visit South Africa and meet with you freely. I hope that 30-40 percent unemployment will be a thing of the past. I hope that there will be a strong, successful government that cares for all its people all the time, not just at elections. I hope...for me, for you. We have much to hope for.

And I hope I haven't overwhelmed you with all my random thoughts! Thanks again for sharing your thoughts with us.

Stay well and know that our door is open to you wherever we are in the future.
Duncan

No comments: