Friday, December 2, 2016

Somalia

Mogadishu was not somewhere I anticipated going any time soon and certainly not just six days after returning from Kenya, but the request was made and I was willing to go - not without a little thought and conversation with those around me. But, I was so glad I went as the team I worked with was so inspiring and courageous. My role was to provide education on stress and trauma and provide counseling as needed, but as is usually the case, they taught me a great deal also. Every country is complex and faces challenges and Somalia is no exception, but from the little I heard, in spite of the continuing al-Shabaab threat, Somalia is moving in the right direction. As in Nairobi during the previous month, I was so grateful and privileged to meet with individuals committed to peace and stability and life - even as they risk their own lives in the process.


What helps when dealing with trauma and stress
As you might imagine security is tight in Somalia because of the threat from al-Shabaab. I was picked up from the airport in an armored car which quickly had me inside a very fortified compound of the hotel I was staying - which incidentally was outside the green/safe zone. I didn't leave the compound except for the few times we went out a back gate for a very short walk to the team's office - always surrounded by armed guards. Needless to say, this was a new experience and the most intense security situation I have been in.
Barriers surrounding the airport
View from my room
Looking out to the ocean/airport/green zone from the hotel

Camel...first time




On the way back, after I had gone through the NINE security/ID checkpoints just to get on the plane in Mogadishu, we took off and as all planes flying to Nairobi from Mogadishu do, landed in Wajir, in the middle of the Kenyan desert, to do another complete screening of passengers and luggage before reboarding and continuing on to Nairobi. If there is going to be a security breach coming from Somalia, Kenya wants it contained out in the desert!
Flying into Wajir
Lining up under the only trees for one final security screening
Reboarding in Wajir
Duncan

No comments: