Wednesday, December 24, 2008

December 19 - Luthando, Bonginkosi and Patrick – Three Kings

Throughout our time in SA we have heard comments (most often from white South Africans, but not entirely) regarding the work ethic of black South Africans. At times it is inferred, other times it is quite blatant. “99% of black people don't care how long you wait...oh these black people, most of them are just lazy...these people just take their time...”  Are the people who say these comments racist or prejudiced? Are there cultural gaps and misunderstandings that lead to statements like this? Is there still an attitude that lingers from when whites (though a minority) ruled and dominated this country? These are all valid questions that deserve answers and contextual understanding but I mention them so there is a context for the past 24 hours and the following story.

After waking to a brilliant day, picking up some trash on the beach (hey we all need to do our part) I decided to go for a quick swim. It was still early with only three lifeguards preparing for another long day (they arrive at 7AM and don't leave until 4 or 6PM) and a handful of other early morning risers walking on the expansive beach. This is prime surfing country with great swells and breakers and it was no different yesterday. I had seen the lifeguards swimming, out testing the waters and thought I would have a quick dip before breakfast.

I'm not the strongest or fastest swimmer by any means but I am comfortable and confident in many water conditions. (Some of you know that I love jumping off bridges, piers and cliffs. I prefer warm water but Puget Sound has had more than a few DW free falls!) I quickly got through the crashing breakers out to where the higher swells were in hopes of doing a little body surfing and bobbing around. One of the lifeguards was quite close to me and we both took our turns trying to catch the perfect wave. After ten or fifteen minutes I suddenly knew I was getting a little too far out and realized that even as I tried to swim in, I wasn't getting any closer to the shore and I was really really tired. It took me about 20 seconds to decide to call to the lifeguard “Hey man, I think I am in trouble.” Instantly he was over to me, supporting me and keeping me up above the waves. Andrea had been sitting on the beach during this time and I called and waved to her but she couldn't hear me. The lifeguard also waved to his other two colleagues on the beach and in a flash they were in the water swimming out to us with their flotation devices. I grabbed onto the ring of one and he started swimming for shore where we took a bit of a beating coming through the breakers but soon I was standing on sand, every muscle aching. I thanked all three of them. The first two including the one who had been with me walked off, just another day's work, (perhaps a little earlier than usual) another swimmer who over estimated. They have seen it many times. The third lifeguard who was a little older came and shook my hand and I think he said, “Don't test us, Test God.” He might have also said, “Don't thank us, Thank God” as he said that several more times. I'm not sure, things were a bit of a blur. Either way, either phrase made sense!

I walked slowly up the stairs from the beach, muscles in pain, slowly showered, ate breakfast and pondered. I kept thinking of these comments I have heard about black South Africans being slow to respond in their jobs and all I knew was that I had been rescued by three young South Africans (Luthando who was with me is 18 and still in high school) who all happen to be black who took their jobs very seriously and did not waste any time and quite literally saved my life. I'm not sure I would be writing this if Luthando had not been out there with me already to hear my cry for help.

Humbling, convicting, haunting...Throughout the day I kept thinking about what had happened and it was what I wrote in the previous paragraph that was so powerful to me. Anyone who has faced a life threatening situation is bound to be a little introspective and I certainly was. We have had so many conversations with people of all skin tones in recent weeks about their dreams, hopes and challenges (as well as what they see in South Africa) and this experience somehow placed me at ground zero in this racial cultural discussion.

It's strange to feel truly indebted/in debt to someone. What can you say? What can you do for someone who has literally saved your life. We drove to the store and bought a bag of cold drinks which we took down to the beach at noon to give to the lifeguards (who were now a group of four.) Again I offered my gratitude saying this was just a small gift. More importantly I wanted to tell them how they had become (or perhaps it is me that had become) part of a much larger story. I told them that I will tell how three black South Africans took their job very seriously to any person who tells me that blacks do not take their jobs seriously. These four work 7AM-6PM every day of the week during high season and holiday time even on Christmas and then just on weekends the rest of the year. They are paid 100 rand (US$10) a day (equivalent to what many domestic help/servants make) which is better than what many make in a country with up to 40% unemployment. It is not what any of them want to do forever, but it is a job – a job they have to love doing otherwise the danger and hardship would not be worth it. If they were paid 100 rand every day consistently that would be better (3000 a month) but that only happens two to three months a year. Working only weekends for the rest of the year doesn't cut it.

We talked about their dreams and hopes, whether they have hope for themselves and SA. As always it comes down to employment and a living wage. They have to find work.
We talked of the United States and what it is like there – a frequent topic in all the conversations we have here – more on that in another post. We talked about their lives here in SA.

Of the three Luthando has been a lifeguard the shortest time – just a year. Bonginkosi had been working for three years and Patrick had been doing it for seven years. I was shocked they told me that no one has ever returned to say thank you after being rescued like I had! I asked them if they knew the passage in the Bible where Jesus healed the ten lepers and only one returned to say thank you?!

Luthando has dreamed of being a Pilot, but now is thinking of being a diver. Patrick realizes he must get a better job that offers consistent pay and security. He has applied for a government job and is also thinking about how he might get to Florida to work there. Bonginkosi's hope was intertwined with anger knowing how desperately he needs a job but how difficult they are to find in certain situations.

I was so impressed with their work ethic, obvious in their actions with me but also in their preparation every day, working out, staying fit, testing the waters, reading the currents and always, always keeping an eye on everyone. They often know who will get into trouble before they even get in the water. I asked Luthando if he knew that I was going to be in trouble. First he hedged, then admitted he didn't know but as we were out for a while he knew I would be tired. He never admitted sticking around just in case, but I think he did.

As I prepared to leave, I asked if they get breaks of any kind. Only for a minute or two to go to the bathroom. They eat breakfast at home before they arrive on the beach at 7 and then eat when they get home in the evening again. None of them have lunch.

Today in addition to cold drinks I brought them lunch. Some might be critical of my actions and say I'm doing it only to make myself feel good. But there's no sugar coated hope here. Spending a few dollars doesn't solve any of the large challenges they currently face and will face in their lifetime. I just want them to know I am grateful for them. I also want them to know that there is at least one white person who will sit and talk with them on the beach. I hope that gives them some hope just as they have given me hope and life. This Christmas I have been visited by my own three kings who brought me gifts of life, hope and an ongoing story of good news to tell.

Duncan

1 comment:

3orange1blonde said...

Just read this. So good. I love your writing. You're a gem old friend, a gem.