Tuesday, November 24, 2020

My Housing - updated

For those that want to see and know a little bit more about my housing situation in Bermuda...I arrived here having only booked a month at my first ever airbnb which turned out to be a gem run by hosts Karen and Danny. It was actually one of the first airbnb's to get started on the island a few years ago. And it turned out to be such a beautiful restful space for my first six weeks on the island. From the moment I entered the front gate which is an old wagon wheel (more on that in a moment), pushing open the beautiful Bermudian Cedar exterior door, walking past the pool and up  some steps onto a terrace under a frangipani tree to my studio which had peaceful music playing as I entered, I knew I had been given a gift. Angel Mews as it's AirBnB link describes, definitely provided peace and tranquility. If you ever need a place to stay here in Bermuda, try to get this place. 







Typical Bermuda water catching roof

Sunrise...every day

I loved just watching out the windows every day and seeing the light and the greenery. And I loved hearing the little tiny frogs lull me to sleep every night and watching the lizards scamper about during the day. Horseshoe Bay, the closest of the south island beaches was only a 15-20 minute walk away.



Tiny frogs - this one was a rescue from the pool!

How many frogs can you see?


Why the wagon wheel front gate? Turns out that the original main part of the house of the airbnb (not my newer studio wing) is actually the old stable for the original owner of the Waterlot Inn, a famous steak house/restaurant on the other side of the road...that just happens to have been in existence for over 350 years - which is just pretty amazing to consider especially in our nanosecond social media driven attention span these days. But check out the living room (formerly the stable) - Stunning, no?!


So after six wonderful weeks, Angel Mews had another guest arriving which meant I had to find somewhere else to lay my head, so last Thursday I moved to Boaz Island (many don't realize that Bermuda is made up of about 181 islands altogether) which is almost at the tip of the hook if you think of Bermuda as a fish hook. (See the map at the end of this post.) It's the second to last stop before coming to the Dockyard or the Royal Navy Dockyard to be official. The main base for the British Navy between the American War of Independence and the 1950's/cold war it is now where cruise ships dock (during non covid times) and continues to be developed into a shiny tourist attraction. 

Airbnb #2 is Upnor House North   a renovated portion of a century old British officer's residence hosted by Zina. The walls are almost two feet thick in places and given that there is only a road that separates the house from the North Atlantic I am grateful for this. Since moving in the weather has been blustery and rainy but I don't hear a thing inside the thick walls. Though I have only been swimming across the street once since arriving due to the weather it is nice to be able to peek out the window and see the water and to experience a different part of the island. It feels remote and isolated. though it really isn't as all traffic going to and from the dockyard goes right be the house - but again, thick walls equals silence. 



Sunrise...

I'm here for a couple weeks before heading to destination # 3 in December. I'll update this post when that happens. Here's a map of the approximate locations of each house (requested by my mom - cause she like looking at maps!)





I didn't post any photos while I was staying there because it was just so beautiful and special and I didn't want to be accused of living too high a life. I tried to get a reservation at this airbnb property when I first arrived but was unsuccessful so when I saw it open up in December I jumped on it! (and I was not disappointed!) 

Up a very narrow driveway, right next to the worlds smallest drawbridge (really! see photos below) the historic Bridge House is located on a two acre property/estate that is beautifully landscaped. The actual airbnb is the owner's guest cottage which they have opened up since their usual family and friends have not been able to visit due to covid. It's a small cottage but so beautifully laid out with windows and french doors on multiple sides which open up to the gardens and Ely's Harbour which surrounds the property.  






And so I could sit in the bedroom or the living room every day and enjoy the following views - morning, noon, night, through blustery gales or peaceful still days - I cannot tell you how much I loved being here and how it was so calming and soothing to my soul!








Wait, did I mention you can walk through the grass, down the brick pathway through old 100 year olive trees and jump off their dock into the water where lobsters hang out? Or take their kayaks and  paddle around their neighbor's house (built as an old fishing cottage in 1680?!)  on the corner and be in Pilchard Bay where the turtles come to graze or go a little further and be in the Atlantic Ocean!




Here's the view to the right of the dock, looking over at the bridge. 




I knew staying there would be a treat as it is their separate guest cottage on their waterfront property but I just wasn't expecting the beauty and peacefulness of the entire property. It was such a perfect place for me to spend Christmas and New Year. As I write this I realize I should probably do a whole post on this property!  


Duncan

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks, Duncan! So beautiful!