Friday, September 14, 2012

Missing You


As I said in the last post, friends are wonderful – and we miss our friends and community in Durham and Raleigh. Our last weeks in North Carolina were hectic but we were able to get some good time in with people that matter – our previously mentioned book group (as a group and individuals) and some other dear friends. It is strange now to be in a city surrounded by thousands of people and realize that (other than a few co-workers) nobody knows me and I don’t know anyone. Moving is lonely. And after starting over in a new place three years ago, it takes a little effort to want to be starting over again now. We’re thankful that our NC friends are only four hours away (ok, six if I-95 is jammed up as it often is for no reason!)

 (Photo's top to bottom - the last picture I took as we left Durham of our driveway and the sun peeking through the trees - i loved where we lived these past three years, our book group - I know I already posted this photo but they are worth posting twice!,  Lunch with wonderful and profound Mary Carol - also of the book  group!)







So here is a list of things I do and will miss from the past three years…
Friends and co workers, Duke Chapel and Congregation, the amazing and wonderful youth of Duke Chapel, our neighbors, our townhouse that was home for the past three years, the cardinals, cat birds and other flying friends who would entertain us taking their baths on our back patio, the lovely blue pool behind our house, NC blue skies and space… the two mile trail I would run through Duke Forest, cheap $5 Duke Performances (where we saw so many amazing performances from Bruce Springsteen to the Carolina Chocolate Drops to Murray Perahia), Duke Gardens – there’s a lot of Duke related things I miss.






I also miss Sam Wells, who left Duke Chapel in May to return to England and take up a post at St Martin-in-the-Fields in London ….quite honestly I cried and was sadder at his departure in May than when we left. (Perhaps in acknowledging the change and loss of this incredible life giving truth speaker, I was also anticipating our potential departure from this community we have found companionship the past three years.) I am excited for the new dean and have high hopes for him but like many at Duke Chapel, I felt Sam’s impact in a significant way and continue to process the gift and the loss of his presence and words even as we anticipate trying to find a church here – something I'm just not looking forward to very much. 


So there's much I miss and this post is about naming some of those people, places and things (even the North Carolina Pine Trees pictured above.)


But Bruce Puckett (who gave me the great opportunity to volunteer with the Duke Chapel youth) and who has done a remarkable job doing the many jobs handed to him in the last couple of years reminded me that in all our searching for and finding community, it is better to have loved and lost…and for this I am thankful. I have been loved and been able to love in return. Our time in NC, though challenging at times (unemployment for a year, difficult school) was a rare gift…which in some ways makes this move to DC more challenging. There is much we look forward to here at this stopping point on our wandering, but I sure miss people and places in NC and look forward to returning often. Here are a couple photos of a few activities we were able to sneak in at the last moment before we left including a paddle down a river and finally (after three years!) a visit to Maple View Farm!



Duncan

No comments: