Monday, January 23, 2012

Sticky Rice and Chicken (Part 1 of Meat, Dogs and Skin)

Order has been restored! Yesterday we happened to be close to Sukhumvit Soi 12 where we stayed for a while our last time here. We both knew that we had to see if our favorite (and the best) sticky rice and gai yang (grilled chicken) seller was still there…and she was! We had built a bit of a relationship last time in conversation and ordering copious amounts of chicken, rice and nam jim (dipping sauce) from her. She has been coming to this same spot with her cart for the past 30 years. It was good to see that her cart has been upgraded and business is going well for her. We have found other sticky rice and grilled meat sellers near where we are staying right now – but either they sell grilled chicken gizzards and pork intestines which we just aren’t into or we weren’t convinced of the cleanliness of their operations. Needless to say, we loaded up for lunch, confident that we are having the best nam jim in Bangkok!

Sticky rice and chicken presents a bit of a dilemma though.

Many of you will know that since moving to NC, I have become a flexitarian…meaning… I really don’t eat meat any more. (Ironic that this happened when I moved to one of the BBQ centers of the world – or at least the southern US.) If I am a guest or it will cause offense I’ll still eat what is presented or if it’s raised (and killed) humanely, but I realized I couldn’t support corporate agriculture/farming as it is done in the US at this point in time. So it’s mainly tofu and veggie products for me at this time.

I knew this would present a dilemma when it came to the sticky rice and gai yang department here in Thailand. What I didn’t realize is how little a taste I have for any kind of meat now which means that gai yang is a lot better in my head than it is in reality…which is kind of disappointing given how much I used to like it. I have also realized how much meat is included in all the curries and stir fries here in Thailand. Fortunately, tofu is abundant and a ready option most of the time.

I’m also aware that I am a rich westerner with the options of many choices – which so many people do not have. The chicken bones left over from the gai yang or any other meat that I was served but did not eat, I take and give to an emaciated little black dog and her friend that live down the street. I’m sure she was probably hit by a car at some point, she has a gimpy leg but she is friendly and cute (perhaps only in my eyes) and seems grateful for the food.
Duncan
PS – For those wanting to, comments can now be posted without having a google or open id account. Also, we just wanted to let you know that there have been no issues or noticeable changes with regard to the recent terrorist threat and arrest here.

1 comment:

Leigh Wynkoop said...

Hey guys, glad to see you're looking healthy and happy and relaxed!